What would you do to ensure a healthy future for your children—and your children’s children? To make sure they had clean air to breathe, and healthy water to drink? A world they can recognize? A world they deserve?
Those may feel like heavy questions, but the truth is that we’ve got some heavy problems to deal with. And they aren’t going to solve themselves. The devastating effects of climate change, the result of generations of fossil fuel use, are now affecting every part of our lives, from the water and ecosystems in our oceans, to the trees and animals in our forests, to the health and livelihood of our children.
While we as a society have started to understand and consider our impacts – and made great strides in shifting our daily habits – the time for bigger, bolder action is now. Cities around the United States are transitioning to 100% renewable energy. In 2019 Chicago committed to 100% renewable energy and their energy plan will be fully implemented by 2035. This is the kind of bold action we need right now.
The newest scientific research on climate change says that we now have only a little more than a decade left to make the systemic changes needed to avoid a climate catastrophe. For thirty years, Seventh Generation has been a company committed to nurturing the health of this and future generations, and more than ever, those future generations need us to step up and make some big changes so they can grow up on a healthy planet.
In the middle of the Twentieth Century, everyday people became “The Greatest Generation” by coming together to fight for something bigger than themselves. Faced with world-altering conflicts, they rallied around their shared beliefs, their shared future. Today, the effects of climate change find us at a similar crossroads, and it’s time we ask ourselves: what if we were meant to be the Next Greatest Generation?
The good news is that there’s already a growing movement of people heeding the call, as well as a brave new generation of youth climate leaders standing up for their collective future.
We know this is no time for business as usual, which is why we’re all in for climate justice, using our voice to:
- Support Sierra Club’s Ready for 100 Campaign pushing for an equitable shift to renewable energy.
- Help amplify the voices & work of climate activists and forward-thinking legislators putting forth bold new climate legislation like New York’s CLCPA, which recently raised the bar on emissions standards and can be a model for other states, and for sorely needed federal policy.
- Champion & support a new generation of climate leaders, who recently raised their voice and surprised the world by organizing and carrying out the biggest climate march in history.
- Create systemic change as one of 200 companies who recently made the 1.5 Degree Commitment to help slow the effects of climate change.
- Innovate to create revolutionary, zero-waste product solutions.
We hope that more companies take necessary action, and that more everyday people join the movement by raising their voices and demand a healthier future.
Like many people, you may be wondering, what can I possibly do to make a difference? The answer is—plenty. And what’s amazing is that there are millions of others out there just like you who are looking to step up and do more. They’re tired of waiting for change, tired of feeling disappointed by their leaders, and are ready to be show up and be the Next Greatest Generation future generations deserve. Here are some ways that you can get involved and join this growing movement:
- Use your voice at the polls and exercise your democratic right to determine your own future by backing candidates and policies that are better for the environment, such as The Green New Deal.
- Help your city transition to 100% clean, renewable energy through Sierra Club’s Ready for 100 Campaign. Over 100 cities around the country have already taken the pledge, and Sierra Club’s on-line resources make it easy to get involved.
- Learn and share about Climate Justice and some of the amazing activists and organizations helping to slow the effects of climate change.
- Stay up to date about upcoming climate events. Post them on social media. Tell your friends and family. Or even better, organize your own!
- Continue to make sustainable changes in your own life, such as consistent recycling and composting, “greening” up your commute by walking or biking, only buying what you need, minimizing your use of single-use plastic, and supporting brands who make their products with people and planet in mind. Every little bit helps!
We may have big problems to solve, but if we come together, we can help ensure our children, and all future generations, inherit a healthy planet. We’re committed to using our voice for change because we believe in a seventh generation to come. We’re got work to do – and we’re ready. Let’s do this.
Telling stories with the goal of building a consumer revolution that nurtures the health of the next seven generations and beyond.