Veggie burgers can be difficult to cook on the grill, but with the assistance of a cast iron pan, you don’t have to be stuck in the kitchen this summer! We love this flavorful Quinoa & White Bean Veggie Burger recipe from The Simple Veganista. With a few minor changes, we’ve landed on our favorite go-to, vegan-friendly burger for all of our summer grilling adventures. Give it a try!
Components (makes 4 burgers):
- 1/2 cup tri-color quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 can (15 oz.) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup zucchini, finely diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- juice of one lemon
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- canola or vegetable oil, for cooking (enough to coat the bottom on the pan)
In a medium sauce pot, bring water, quinoa and garlic powder to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes. Set aside and let cool.
Empty rinsed & drained beans into a bowl and mash until smooth. Add cooled quinoa, onion, pepper, zucchini, tarragon and seasons to the bowl. Mix gently while adding lemon juice and flour until well combined.
Divide your mixture into 4 patties and set in the refrigerator to cool for 10-15 minutes. In the meantime, get your grill hot and heat oil in cast iron pan. Add patties and cook until golden brown on both sides – around 5 minutes per side.
Top with mashed avocado, sprouts, pickles and heirloom tomatoes – or whatever toppings you prefer!
Telling stories with the goal of building a consumer revolution that nurtures the health of the next seven generations and beyond.