As part of our ongoing mission to build a healthier, more equitable future for the next seven generations and beyond, we have endorsed the People’s Bailout in demanding a just response to the COVID-19 crisis. It is imperative that the relief and stimulus packages provided in response to COVID-19 put the people first.
The 5th principle in the People’s Bailout is focused on “protecting democracy while we protect each other” during the COVID-19 pandemic. This idea feels especially important right now as we look ahead to the presidential election in November and prepare for the many important primaries still to come in the months ahead. Even as we manage the current crisis, the polls will be open before we know it, which is why we’re inviting you to join us in taking action now. We can help ensure a free and fair election and safe ballot access to all eligible voters.
Please stand with us and the People’s Bailout in asking for:
- Congress to include at least $4B in the next round of COVID-19 response stimulus to help states prepare for the upcoming presidential primaries and general election in November.
- Expanded voter registration options. With many government agencies closed that usually register voters, other pathways are essential, including extended registration deadlines, same day registration, and other common sense solutions.
- Expanded early voting (at least two weeks) to help prevent lines and minimize crowds at polling places where social distancing is challenging.
- Making vote-by-mail an option for all registered voters. That means:
- All voters should receive ballots in the mail with easy voting instructions.
- Ballots postmarked on or before Election Day must count.
- Provisions for correcting ballot errors if noticed after submission.
- Provisions that allow support for those who need help completing and submitting a ballot.
- Community organizations being permitted to collect and deliver sealed ballots.
What you can do:
We can’t afford to take our rights for granted and protecting them and keeping our democratic processes strong takes all of us. Contact your elected officials and tell them you support the People’s Bailout and safe ballot access for all in preparation for the upcoming presidential election. We’ve made it easy to raise your voice via this link. https://actnow.io/voterrights.
Help us ensure we’re protecting democracy while protecting ourselves in responding to COVID-19 by making sure that the challenges encountered by Wisconsin voters during the recent primary are not repeated.
No one should have to choose between feeling safe and exercising their democratic right to vote, and when we raise our voice on behalf of a free and fair election—they won’t have to. Thank you for taking needed action and standing with us at this pivotal time for the health, and the rights, of this and future generations.
Telling stories with the goal of building a consumer revolution that nurtures the health of the next seven generations and beyond.