Think twice before you suck down that next smoothie! Unless you made it yourself, there's a chance it's loaded with sugar, frozen yogurt, or even ice cream. We're not suggesting you abandon the tasty drinks, though. Blending a mixture of fruits and raw, leafy vegetables is a super-effective way to increase your nutrient absorption. Just make sure you know what went into the blender before you put it into your body!
Here are four smoothie recipes to get you started, but don't hesitate to experiment with your own combinations.
1. Berry Beautiful Goddess Smoothie (from mindbodygreen.com)
- generous handful of spinach
- 1 raw beet
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 ½ cup of frozen mixed berries (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries)
- ½ avocado
- 2 cups of almond milk
- Splash of purified water
- Goji berries
- Chia seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
Add spinach to blender and pack down. Cut raw beet into chunks and add to blender. Add frozen bananas, mixed berries, and half of an avocado.
Add 2 cups of almond milk or coconut milk to blender.
Blend ingredients until smooth. Add just a splash of water while blending if smoothie appears too thick. Feel free to toss in goji berries while blending also.
Pour into glasses. Top it off with raw pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, and goji berries and enjoy!
2. Strawberry Mango Spring Smoothie (from organicgardening.com)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 banana, peeled, sliced, and frozen
- 1 mango, skinned and chunked
- 5 large strawberries, hulled
Combine ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. Makes 3½ cups
3. Simple & Rich Vegan Cacao Smoothie (from mindbodygreen.com)
- 1 banana (make sure it's really ripe, so it's sweet enough to support the whole recipe)
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- ½ to 2/3 cup filtered water
- 1 Tbsp. tahini (optional, but gives a nice finish)
Blend the all the ingredients in a high-speed blender until well combined and creamy. Add more cacao powder if you'd like. This simple recipe only takes 2 minutes and is amazingly rich.
4. Collard Greens Smoothie With Mango and Lime (from realsimple.com)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 cups stemmed and chopped collard greens or spinach
- 1½ cups frozen mango
- 1 cup green grapes
Combine the lime juice, ½ cup water, the collard greens, mango, and grapes in a blender and puree until smooth, about 1 minute, adding more water to reach the desired consistency.
Do you have a favorite smoothie recipe or tip? Please share!