Which Laundry Detergent Should I Use?
Finding the right detergent for your machine and washing needs doesn’t have to be confusing. We’ve broken down the difference between powder, packs and liquid to help you tackle laundry day!
Packs vs. powder vs. liquid – what’s the difference?
To start, let’s outline what all forms of the laundry detergent have in common.
- All Seventh Generation laundry detergents deliver tough stain-fighting power by harnessing plant-based cleaning agents and premium enzyme blends.
- Whether powder, pods, liquid, or concentrated - our laundry detergents are compatible with High Efficiency (HE) washing machines as well as standard machines.
- These detergents are designed to work well in a variety of water temperatures to help you conserve water, energy, and money on your electric bill!
- All of our Free & Clear laundry detergent varieties are made for sensitive skin and contain no fragrances, which is great if you or someone in your family has sensitive skin.
- All of our liquid, powder, and pack detergents are USDA Certified Biobased Products.
- Lastly, our complete line of laundry detergent products is free of synthetic fragrances, dyes, and artificial brighteners and the ingredients are listed right on the labels!
Depending on your specific needs, laundry packs, powder, or liquid may be the best choice for you.
Our liquid laundry detergent comes with a dosing cap so you can control how much laundry detergent you add to your wash. Follow the use instructions and add a little more detergent for heavily soiled loads (think workout gear and playtime messes!) and a little less for lightly soiled fabrics. Our liquid laundry soaps, and liquid laundry detergents in general, contain small amounts of a preservative to keep the product highly effective, safe, and shelf stable over time. As always, the ingredients in the liquid laundry detergent are listed right on the label.
Alternatively if you want to make laundry dosing even simpler, then you should check out our new liquid EasyDoseTM laundry detergent. EasyDoseTM will make sure you get the right amount of detergent for your load every time. It is now in a convenient 23oz bottle that is lightweight and can free your other hand for multitasking and wrangling your little ones during chore time.
Our powdered laundry detergent features sodium percarbonate - an oxygen-based bleach similar to hydrogen peroxide that helps remove tough stains and odors. Like our liquid laundry detergent, you can follow the use instructions and add more or less detergent depending on your needs. Our laundry detergent powders are a concentrated product that does not contain added water so there is no need for a preservative.
Our new laundry detergent packs contain a powerful, quadruple-enzyme, stain-fighting formula. Each convenient, single-dose pack fully dissolves in a variety of water temperatures so there is no measuring, no mess – just toss and go! Like our powdered laundry detergents, our laundry detergent packs are concentrated and do not contain added water so there is no need for a preservative. Our laundry detergent packs are EPA Safer Choice Certified. This means that the ingredients in the packs have been reviewed by the EPA to ensure they meet stringent health & environmental criteria. You can relax, knowing you have made a good choice!
How do I choose the right one for my water?
While all of our laundry soaps contain ingredients to help them dissolve in a variety of water temperatures and conditions, liquid laundry detergents will typically dissolve best if you have particularly hard or soft water.
Which detergents are best for different types of fabrics?
All of our laundry detergents contain enzymes so that they can tackle tough stains. Enzymes clean fabrics by attaching to and removing stains. This can be a little rough for delicate fabrics like silk and some wools and the fabrics can start to show signs of wear over time. High performance wools can be used with our detergents with no ill effects, but grandma’s hand-knitted sweater or a treasured silk scarf should stay away.
For delicate fabrics, we suggest reaching for Seventh Generation Dish liquid. Our dish liquid uses very similar ingredients to the laundry detergent, but without the enzyme. If you are using dish liquid to wash clothes, stick to hand washing in the sink instead of the washing machine – unless you’re looking for a bubble party!