It's time to get real about waste, which is one of the biggest environmental challenges facing our planet. While we at Seventh Generation continue to push forward with our industry-leading efforts to reduce waste—from 100% PCR packaging to renewable, plant-based ingredients—we know that there is still a problem around products and packaging ending up in landfills that needs to be addressed. We all have to join forces to do better.
To help create a healthier future for the next seven generations, we’re taking a hard look at our own waste, upping our level of accountability, and striving to be a zero-waste company by 2025—meaning that 100% of our materials will be reusable and reused, recyclable and recycled, or biodegradable and degraded. It won’t be easy to get there, but we’re all in for a zero-waste revolution.
As we’ve continued to assess our own impact, we’ve also been inspired by individuals and organizations who are drawing attention to waste issues and spreading the word about how we can all make a difference, no matter how big or small the act. We’ve particularly been inspired by everyone taking on the #ZeroWasteChallenge and sharing their zero waste actions to help drive the conversation and do their part in helping our planet. We want to help spread the message and, since we know you share our commitment to a healthier future for your family, we’re inviting our community to join us in taking on the #ZeroWasteChallenge.
We're all-in on the #ZeroWasteChallenge momentum and asking our community to join us from August 20 to October 31, 2019. Because together, small acts add up. Here's how you can participate:
- For one week, save and collect all your waste. Use an old bucket or a bin that you don’t mind getting dirty—preferably something with a lid.
- Do NOT add anything you would normally reuse, recycle or compost. Just what you would normally throw away.
- Post an image OR video of yourself with:
- Your collected waste + a short reflection to Instagram tagging @SeventhGeneration, #ZeroWasteChallenge and #sweepstakes OR on Twitter tagging @SeventhGen, #ZeroWasteChallenge and #sweepstakes
- In your reflection, consider:
- What did you notice about what’s heading to the landfill? How might you reduce, reuse, and recycle a little more?
- What’s one change you’re willing to commit to for Zero Waste?
- Tag friends and invite them to do the challenge.
Did we mention there are prizes?
As our way of saying thanks for being willing to assess your own impact, make change, and inspire others, we’re sweetening the deal. Starting in September, we’ll be doing weekly drawings for a chance to win a collection of Seventh Generation products we’ve developed to help lessen our overall impact:
- Ultra-concentrated Easy DoseTM Laundry Detergent made with 60% less plastic and 50% less water than our 100oz laundry bottle
- 100% post-consumer recycled (PCR) packaged Dish Soap
- 100% Recycled Toilet Paper and Paper Towels (minimum 50% PCR content)
- Plant-powered Hand Wash with Refill
- All-Purpose Cleaner made with 100% PCR plastic and a spray head that is now 100% recyclable
When you post your #ZeroWasteChallenge image and reflection using our respective social handles and tags, you’ll be automatically entered to win—so don’t forget that part!
Waste is a growing problem, and the spirit of the Zero Waste Challenge is that, no matter where we’re starting from, we can all do better to protect our planet’s long-term health. So, whether your waste pile ends up small, medium, or large—share it with pride knowing you’ve already taken a bold first step to reducing waste, inspiring others, and creating a healthier future for generations to come. Join Seventh Generation in the Zero Waste Challenge!
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Void where prohibited. Seventh Generation Zero Waste Challenge is sponsored by Seventh Generation. Open to legal residents of the 50 U.S. & D.C., 18 & older. Begins 12:00 a.m. ET on 8/20/19; ends 11:59 p.m. ET on 10/31/19. For official rules, visit unileversweepsrules.com/zerowastechallenge.
Telling stories with the goal of building a consumer revolution that nurtures the health of the next seven generations and beyond.