Small Business Saturday: Shop Small for a Big Impact
This Saturday, November 26th is Small Business Saturday, and we’re so excited to share some of our favorite local shops and on-line retailers based near our headquarters in Burlington, Vermont. They not only craft and sell amazing foods, beverages, jewelry, and gifts, but also run mission-driven small businesses with the personality, heart, and purpose that make our community sing.
Add in the fact that these businesses are all proudly women-owned, and most will ship their awesome wares to you anywhere in the U.S., and it’s time to get shopping!
Common Deer: Making American Made more accessible since 2013.
- Family-owned and operated by two rockstar women entrepreneurs, Common Deer scours the country for unique American makers and products full of story. They believe choosing American made goods helps supports a healthier environment through standards of production and less overseas freight.
- Sells accessories, jewelry, cards, home goods, Vermont swag, and more.
- Nationwide shipping available.
Wilder Wines: Natural wine shop with a passion for sustainable wine from small producers.
- Amazing selection of whites, reds, and bubbles offered without pretension.
- Natural wine supports smaller farmers who farm with the utmost respect for the land and environment. Organic, hand harvested, naturally fermented, additive-free—and totally delicious.
- Curated cases, wine club, and email newsletter.
Skida: Fun, fresh, and colorful winter hats and gear made with a commitment to diversity and bringing people together.
- Founded in 2008, Skida believes in local production, limited edition products, and a fresh perspective. All packaging materials are PVC-free and they recycle boxes and poly-bags throughout their supply chain.
- Free shipping on orders over $75 within the U.S.
Ma & Pembum: Bags handcrafted one at a time by local Vermont artisans using quality Italian leather.
- Supports Amirah, an organization that is dedicated to fighting human trafficking.
- Specializes in bags, jewelry, accessories, and custom collaborations.
- Retail shop in Hinesburg, VT + nationwide shipping.
Little Patakha: Maker of diverse & multicultural books, toys & media for children.
- Founded by Akshata Nayak, a mom who wanted to design a book so her daughter could learn her native language, Konkani.
- Sells picture books, affirmation cards, puzzles, dolls, stickers, and magnets.
- Easy online shopping and newsletter.
Island Girl Jewelry: Based in Vermont since 2015, Island Girl Jewelry makes big, bold handmade pieces inspired by the island fashions of Barbados.
- Sells hoops, necklaces, post earrings, rings, and more.
- Retail shop in Bristol, VT + easy online shopping.
Jennifer Kahn Jewelry: Jewelry for the modern bohemian: artists, yogis, professionals, mothers, teachers, servers, tea drinkers, deep thinkers & all those who appreciate comfort & style.
- Proudly works with recycled metals, recycles all scraps, and uses local suppliers and U.S. suppliers for materials.
- Female designed, owned, and grown for over twenty years.
- Retail shop in Burlington, VT + free shipping on orders over $75 within the U.S.
Katie Babic Designs: Individually created, one-of-a-kind prints “pulled” from Vermont native hardwood trees.
- Proudly owned by Katie: nature lover, first time entrepreneur, and mother of three.
- Prints, stickers, cards, and custom designs available for on-line purchase.
Green Mountain Peanut Butter: Small-batch peanut butter made with high-quality, USA-grown, dry-roasted peanuts and American kosher salt.
- Women-owned and made in the USA, from peanuts to packaging.
- Flavors include Creamy, Crunchy, Vermont Maple Cinnamon, Honey Roasted, and White Chocolate Pretzel.
- Available at select retailers or for easy on-line purchase.
Small Business Saturday is a celebration of the human-powered, mission-led small businesses that keep our communities vibrant, funky, and flourishing—and make our world a more just and ethical place. So whether you’re stopping into your own local shops, or supporting small businesses online, thanks for keeping it small, even while you shop big.