As a company focused on protecting and advocating for the health of future generations, we’re passionate about giving back to the organizations that help make the world a safer, better place. You don't have to give a lot to make a big difference in the lives of others, so in this season of gift-giving, we hope you’ll consider setting aside a portion of your budget to go toward a worthy cause.
We’ve gathered a list of organizations we admire and support; check these ones out, or find your own organizations to rally behind—CharityWatch, Charity Navigator and the BBB Wise Giving Alliance are all good resources to help you with mindful gift-giving ideas.
Give the Gift of Health
We believe that everyone has the right to know what’s in the products they use on a daily basis. For that reason, Seventh Generation supports several organizations educating consumers about different chemicals, and supporting your Right to Know:
- Safer States is a network of environmental health organizations that tracks the introduction of chemicals of concern into people’s communities, and works on policies to eliminate potentially harmful ingredients from everyday products.
- Safer Chemicals, Healthy Families is a national coalition working to keep specific chemicals out of everyday products, and to protect families from their potential effects.
- Women’s Voices for the Earth is a national health nonprofit working to eliminate and build awareness about certain chemicals in products. Women are typically exposed to far more chemicals of concern than men, due to increased contact with everyday products from cleaners to personal-care items.
- Protect our Breasts is on a mission to educate consumers about products found on grocery shelves that include chemicals linked with breast cancer.
- Breast Cancer Prevention Partners is a science-based advocacy organization that works to eliminate exposure to specific chemicals and radiation linked to breast cancer.
- Planned Parenthood is a nonprofit organization that provides reproductive healthcare and education to millions of people around the world via health centers and other locations open to the community.
Both Women’s Voices for the Earth and BCPP worked alongside Seventh Generation and other companies to achieve the signing of the Cleaning Product Right to Know Act (SB 258), making California the first state to require ingredient labeling both on product labels and on manufacturer’s websites by 2020.
Support Disaster Relief and Food Aid
While Seventh Generation is primarily in the cleaning and personal-care space, we also stand behind organizations working for hunger relief. While there are lots of organizations out there working to alleviate poverty, here are several we support:
- Feeding America is the largest hunger-relief organization in the U.S., and works with a large network of local food banks, soup kitchens, and shelters.
- Americares is a health-focused organization that steps in to help people affected by poverty or disaster by providing access to medicine and health programs via a large network of local, national, and international partners.
- Good+ Foundation is an organization committed to helping provide low-income families with long-term support to help all family members stay healthy and safe.
Give the Gift of a Cleaner, Safer Environment
Creating a future for the next seven generations (and beyond) means protecting the planet that sustains life. For that reason, we support the following organizations that protect, preserve, and advocate for the environment:
- Climate Reality Project works to find solutions to help shift our dependence on fossil fuels toward renewable-energy solutions. Backed by founder and chairman Al Gore, the Climate Reality Project’s mission is to mobilize all individuals to work toward a more efficient, sustainable future.
- 350.org focuses on opposing new coal, oil, and gas projects, while building clean-energy solutions via a global grassroots network.
- The Sierra Club is involved in a host of projects designed to protect the planet; its most recent project, the Ready for 100 Campaign, calls on mayors and other leaders around the U.S. to commit to 100 percent clean and renewable energy by 2038.
- The Sumatran Orangutan Conservation Programme is a collaborative effort between Switzerland and Indonesia to conserve and protect the Sumatran orangutan and Tapanuli orangutan.
Give the Gift of Education
These organizations make it their mission to educate, advocate for, or protect people and the environment. While businesses need to be profitable, we believe they should also attempt to do good and be good citizens at the same time:
- We recently partnered with the Instituto de Educación Popular del Sur de California (INDEPSCA) on the #ComeClean campaign, as we felt strongly about advocating for the rights of household workers who use cleaning products each day with little to no knowledge of the ingredients they are being exposed to. INDEPSCA works to protect, educate, and organize immigrants and other disenfranchised people to help them solve problems in their own communities.
- The American Sustainable Business Council is a business advocacy group working to implement public policies that build a sustainable economy.
Give Time if You Can’t Give Money
No extra cash to spare? Time can be just as valuable as money. Search for volunteer causes you can give your time to at UnitedWay.org, or VolunteerMatch.com. You might also find that your local soup kitchen or donation center could use a hand to help make this a festive time of year for all.
Wishing you a joyful holiday season, from our family to yours.