We took a traditional Thanksgiving side dish – creamed spinach – and changed things up a bit. Instead of spinach, our version uses kale to add even more the flavor and nutrients. We also followed Whole Foods Market’s vegan creamed spinach recipe to keep things vegan-friendly without jeopardizing the creamy goodness the traditional version is known for.
• 12 cups fresh kale (we used a mix of curly and dino)
• 1 cup plain gluten-free soymilk or almond milk, unsweetened
• 2 teaspoons orange zest, finely grated
• 2 teaspoons lemon zest, finely grated
• 2 teaspoons vegan margarine or coconut oil
• 1/2 cup yellow onion, minced
• pinch of nutmeg
• Sea salt, to taste
Remove kale leaves from stems and steam with a few tablespoons of water until just wilted. Squeeze out excess water and coarsely chop.
Place soymilk, orange zest and lemon zest in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer, stirring frequently, until reduced by half.
Heat margarine over medium heat in sauté pan and add onion. Cook until onion is translucent. Add kale and cook until most of liquid has evaporated.
Add reduced soymilk to kale and cook until thickened, stirring occasionally. Season with a pinch of nutmeg and sea salt to taste.