For busy parents, back to school can often feel like back to chaos. As schedules start to fill back up with school drop-offs and after-school activities, some of the small shifts you’ve started or thought about making to better the health of your home and family can often get pushed down the list – especially when it comes to everyday chores like laundry and cleaning. We get it – and we’re here to help, because busy days shouldn’t mean you need to sacrifice your sustainability journey, no matter how big or small.
Let’s talk about one of those chores that seems to grow during the back-to-school season: laundry. As activities pick up and time is harder to come by, it suddenly seems to double (or triple!)
Seventh Generation’s convenient EasyDose Ultra-Concentrated Laundry Detergent can help lighten the load when you need it most. Our revolutionary Auto Dosing Technology means you can measure and pour the right amount of detergent every time – even one-handed! No more guesswork: just flip the bottle upside down, give a firm squeeze, and you’ve checked that laundry load off your list, with a free hand available to hold your little one or multi-task. Our liquid laundry detergent can help tackle the tough stains that school days may throw your way with powerful plant-based ingredients. Win-win. Our laundry detergent will help make your clothes look picture-day fresh.
We reached out to members of our Generation Good community about time-saving laundry hacks, and they had some great suggestions to put minutes back on your clock:
- “Turn your clothes right side out as you put them in the basket or before washing and it will save so much time when you’re sorting, folding, hanging, and putting away.”—Brandi D
- “A great laundry tip to save time is to use wool dryer balls. I add some essential oils to them. They make my clothes smell great and save on drying time!”—Bethany A
- “I spread laundry out. I might do light laundry on Monday, dark laundry on Wednesday, and linens on Friday. It’s much more manageable for me.”—Ursula B
But the laundry room isn’t the only place we can help. We’ve got more time-saving tricks that prioritize your family’s wellbeing and the precious hours in your day, while also keeping in mind your commitment to helping create a healthy future for generations to come
- Shop with a single click. Shop EasyDose online and get 66 loads conveniently shipped to your door in a lightweight 23oz bottle. Save packaging weight and time spent shopping in a single click. Have other products to check off your list? Creating a subscription that delivers your most-used items right when you need them, whether it’s your favorite all-purpose counter spray, or a jumbo pack of recycled toilet paper (minimum 50% PCR).
- Reduce and Re-use! It’s easy to fall into the habit of replacing everything your kids own for the new school year. But a shift in perspective can save time, money, and reduce your footprint. A reusable canvas bag makes a great lunch box. If their backpacks are in good shape, why not give them another year? For clothes, keep items that still fit in circulation to reduce your consumption, which has a positive cumulative effect on the environment, and still leaves space to purchase a couple of new items to make the new year feel special.
- If your kids play fall sports, ask on social media to see if another family has gently used equipment they’re looking to hand down. This can save you that dreaded last-minute run to the sporting goods store!
- Keep that harvest going. Re-planting seeds in your garden throughout the summer will prolong your harvest and save time on trips to the grocery store once school starts. Crops like lettuce, broccoli, kale, and spinach are cool weather tolerant and will keep producing to homecoming and beyond! If planted in late summer, many pumpkin varieties can also be ready by Halloween allowing you to grow your own spooky décor while knowing exactly what goes in, on, and around your garden.
- Clean school supplies in advance & skip the rinse. Botanical disinfecting wipes are an easy way to clean all things school, from lunch boxes to pencil cases*. Plus, there’s no additional step of rinsing needed. Just wipe and you’re done.
- Shoes and backpacks that got a bit smelly over the summer can be easily refreshed with a healthy sprinkle of baking soda.
- Save time by stocking up on homemade meals. Busy school days and often busier after-school evenings can mean little to no time for a homemade meal. Finding some time in your week (which we know can be tough!) to prep school lunches and family dinners in advance can help ensure you don’t have to compromise on your sustainable food decisions due to lack of time. The freezer can help make meal prep even easier, and you don’t need to reach for plastic freezer bags as you cook:
- Canning-approved mason jars are great for freezing, too. Just make sure the contents cool before tucking them away.
- Many reusable silicone bags are also freezer-friendly – just be sure to check usage instructions.
- Team up for carpool duties. Reach out to friends, neighbors or school groups to find others nearby that may be interested in saving time and lessening fossil fuel use by carpooling. Your schedule (and the environment!) will thank you.
With a bit of planning, you can stay sane and be ready for the new school year, all while still making healthy choices and not compromising the sustainable values that are so important to you, your family, and the next seven generations to come.
*Kills over 99.99% of household germs, specifically: Influenza A virus, H1N1, Rhinovirus type 37, Staphylococcus aureus, Salmonella enterica, Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Escherichia coli.
On a mission to create a more healthy, sustainable, and equitable world for the next seven generations and beyond.