Our cleaning expert walks you through the steps for cleaning your oven.
- Remove all metal trays in oven, put them in sink and spray with Seventh Generation All Purpose Cleaner
- Clean/sweep all of the crumbs or debris in the oven
- Don't spray All Purpose Cleaner in oven, spray on cloth
- Start cleaning from top, walls, bottom
- With the wet towel, clean from the inside out
- Directly spray All Purpose Cleaner on burned spots left in oven; leave it there for 3 minutes
- While spots are soaking, continue to clean grease spots in oven (circular motion with really wet towel with All Purpose Cleaner)
- Return to burn spots, take a metal spatula or a razor blade and move it one direction to the other lifting up the spot directly
- Clean the inside of the glass door (you can directly spray All Purpose Cleaner on the door )
- If door continues to be dirty, you can use a razor or spatula when it's really wet
- You can also scrub the door with a sponge if needed
- Don't forget to clean corners of oven really well, use a spatula covered with microfiber
- Clean exterior of oven with All Purpose Cleaner applied to microfiber, cleaning in a top to bottom motion
- Return to the sink, wash the trays (All Purpose Cleaner should have removed 60% of food/dirt) wash with sponge or steel wool
- Dry trays and return to oven
- If you have a gas oven, make sure your cleaning efforts haven't blown out the pilot light
Ivette is a trainer at Women's Action to Gain Economic Security (WAGES), a non-profit organization helping low-income women in the San Francisco Bay Area establish cleaning service cooperatives that use environmentally-safe methods to protect everyone's health.
On a mission to create a more healthy, sustainable, and equitable world for the next seven generations and beyond.