One thing we can all agree on is there is just not enough time in the day to care for ourselves, our families and our homes. We asked the members of our online community Generation Good to share their tips for keeping the house clean when they’re tight on time. Over 400 moms chimed in! Here’s what we saw trending:
- Get kids involved. Have them help with simple chores around the house while you clean - from dusting furniture to moving laundry from the washer to the dryer.
- Make a list. Know what areas of the home need the most done, and focus on those rooms first. Check your list off as you go!
- Don’t let clutter sneak up on you. When you bring something in, find a place for it immediately. Don’t leave messes for later cleanup.
- Clean as you go. If you’re already in the bathroom brushing your teeth, spend a few extra minutes wiping down the sink. Clean your kitchen after you prepare a meal.
- Take advantage of nap time! While the little ones nap, use the time to put away toys, fold laundry or wipe down surfaces.
- Use a cleaning tote:
“Keep everything you use to clean your home ready to go in one cleaning tote, caddy, or bucket. You won't waste time gathering your necessities to start or continue -- just bring it with you from room to room. If your home is large, consider creating two or more: one for each level”. - Magdalena S.
- Multitask to speeds things up. Tackle two jobs at once – clean dishes as your meal cooks or clean the toilet while the little kids take a bath!
- The power of baby wipes! Use baby wipes to clean off dirty paws, wipe dust off of house plants or remove dirt from surfaces.
- Teamwork. Split cleaning chores among family members so time is on your side.
- Know that it doesn’t have to be perfect. At the end of the day, a home should be lived in! Don’t drive yourself crazy trying to keep things spotless at all times.
Have any tips for cleaning your home in a hurry? We want to hear them! Join Generation Good and dive into the forum discussion board.
On a mission to create a more healthy, sustainable, and equitable world for the next seven generations and beyond.