Seventh Generation Wants to Clear the Air This Fall
Your air, that is. Visit your local retailer for great deals on Seventh Generation products starting this week. As winter approaches, we open our windows less, trapping polluted air inside our homes. The easiest way to keep your home healthy is to use all-natural cleaning products that won’t leave behind harmful chemical residue or pollute indoor air. Here are 9 more ways to clear the air this fall.
- Open your windows! EPA research has found that indoor air can contain levels of pollutants 2-5 times higher than the air outside.
- Place welcome mats near your doors to remove particles and pollutants carried in on shoes.
- Use natural cosmetic, personal care, and feminine hygiene products. Conventional versions of these products often contain many untested and unregulated chemicals.
- Dust with a damp cloth to collect and remove dust instead of stirring it back into the air.
- Use paper products made from unbleached or non-chlorine bleached recycled paper, which help prevent waste, deforestation, and the pollution created by traditional paper manufacturing.
- Store food in #1, #2, #4, or #5 plastic containers, which are less likely to leach unsafe chemicals. Never heat food or serve hot food in plastic of any kind.
- Use a chlorine-free dishwasher detergent to keep your dishwasher’s steam free of unhealthy chlorine vapors.
- When it’s time to buy new home furnishings, choose those made from solid wood -- not pressed woods and particleboard -- which often use glues that emit formaldehyde vapors.
- Stay informed. When it comes to ideas for healthy homes, there are always useful new things to learn. Share your ideas below.