A new school year may not be far off, but our gardens are busy producing the best of summer. Here’s a beautifully simple recipe from mother nature network that lets you put the best of the season’s to very good use. We suggest keeping a roll of Seventh Generation 100% recycled paper towels on hand to clean up the inevitable juicy overflow that happens when slicing into fresh tomatoes and watermelon!
Tomato Watermelon Salad
- 2 1/2 cups seedless watermelon, diced
- 1 cup baby heirloom tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced thin
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup cilantro, rough cut
1. In large bowl combine watermelon, tomatoes, onion, salt and cheese.
2. Combine vinegar, oil and cayenne in small jar. Seal and shake well. Pour over salad. Garnish with cilantro and serve immediately.
Photo: Emma Brown