Soothing Boost Oil$8.99 (1)
Blend Oat, Argan & Zi
Cao 25 oz
Grilling season is upon us, and lime garlic shrimp is one way to take advantage of your option to cook a flavorful meal in your own backyard.
Shrimp is a wonderful source of protein (18 grams per 3-ounce serving) and it is among the most popular types of seafood around. It’s also a great source of vitamin D, so those of you who are shy about getting too much sun can still enjoy some of the sun’s benefits in a great meal, and the good fats in shrimp help lower your cholesterol.
Shrimp also offers a terrific amount of selenium, an important component of antioxidant enzymes that protect cells against the damaging effects of free enzymes, and helps with immune system and thyroid functions.
This recipe comes to us courtesy of Oprah.com. You can get your hands summery fresh right after cooking with Seventh Generation Natural Hand Wash in Fresh Citrus, made from a hypoallergenic, biodegradable formula, with no triclosan or dyes.
Lime Garlic Grilled Shrimp
Makes 4 servings
- 4 limes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds (about 40) large shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails left on)
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, cut into thin ribbons
- Using a zester or vegetable peeler, zest 3 limes (about 1 tablespoon); place in a glass dish large enough to hold shrimp.
- Juice same limes (about 1/2 cup juice), then pour into dish.
- Add garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, and shrimp.
- Toss gently and refrigerate, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Remove from refrigerator 15 minutes before grilling.
- Thread metal skewers with 4 to 5 shrimp each.
Meanwhile, light grill or heat a grill pan over a medium-high flame. When coals are medium-hot or grill pan is heated, set marinated shrimp on a paper towel-lined plate. (Paper towels will absorb excess marinade and prevent grill from smoking.) Then place shrimp on grill; sprinkle with additional salt and pepper, if desired. Grill shrimp 2 to 3 minutes on each side, just until curled and pink in color. Remove from grill and slide off skewers.
Sprinkle shrimp with basil. Cut remaining lime into 4 wedges and serve with shrimp.
Photo: Onno Bruins