Is it simply the newest diet craze, or the ticket to a healthier way of eating? Supporters of the Paleo Diet point to growing evidence that suggests the mismatch between our modern diet and lifestyle and our Paleolithic genome plays a big role in the ongoing epidemics of obesity, hypertension, diabetes, and atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease. We can’t claim that following the paleo diet of our caveman ancestors will help you eat better, feel better, and lose weight, but we can offer you three easy paleo recipes from Paleovalley that you can make in 30 minute or less!
SAVORY BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
- 3 lbs. butternut or other winter squash
- 2 large unpeeled onions
- 1 garlic bulb
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
- 3 cups chicken broth (may substitute vegetable broth)
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 3 tablesoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teasoons pepper
- Fresh thyme sprigs
1. Cut squash into halves and scrape out seeds. Place cut side up in a large baking pan.
2. Cut off tops of onion and garlic bulbs. Place cut side up in same baking pan. Brush with oil, and sprinkle with thyme.
3. Cover tightly with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until vegetables are
very tender. Uncover and let stand until lukewarm.
4. Peel squash and onions; squeeze soft garlic out of skins. Combine vegetables, broth and coconut milk. Puree in small batches in blender until smooth; transfer to a large saucepan.
5. Add parsley, sea salt and pepper.
6. Heat through, but do not boil. Garnish with thyme.
PECAN CRUSTED FLOUNDER
- 2 lbs wild caught flounder
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 2 pasture raised eggs
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil for greasing the baking dish
- Sea salt and ground pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Whisk eggs until smooth in a bowl. In a food processor blend the nuts, salt, and pepper
and place spread out on a plate.
3. Dredge each piece of fish in egg mixture and then dip in the walnut/pecan mix.
4. Put fish onto the greased baking dish and into oven to bake 15-20 minutes until
APPLE CINNAMON COOKIES
- 1/3 cup apple, shredded
- 1 banana
- 2 Tbsp almond butter
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp raw honey
- Parchment paper to line baking sheet
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
3. Mix all ingredients together in a medium-size bowl.
4. Spoon the mixture onto the parchment paper and bake for 8 to 10 minutes,
or until done to your liking.