The NFL Super Bowl is one of the biggest food fests of the year for many of us. The average fan eats about a day’s worth of calories during the game and the U.S. Calorie Control Council estimates that Americans pack away 11 million pounds of chips on Super Bowl Sunday. Why not kick off the day a little differently this year with a stack of fantastic, gluten-free pancakes and follow through with your own line up of vegan and gluten-free snacks for game time.
1 ripe banana
2 organic, cage-free eggs
2 tablespoons almond meal
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
½ cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1 tablespoon coconut oil
Fresh berries & organic maple syrup for topping
Mash up the banana with a fork in a mixing bowl. Add almond meal. Whisk in eggs, vanilla and cinnamon. Stir in blueberries.
Heat coconut oil in a pan or on a griddle.
Ladle batter in pan and cook each pancake 1 to 2 minutes on each side.
Top with a dollop of Greek yogurt, fresh berries, or a drizzle of maple syrup, as desired.
This chili is hearty and very filling. It is vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free, but meat lovers will enjoy it as well. The chili has black beans, red kidney beans, tomatoes, and lots of vegetables-onion, carrots, celery, green pepper, red pepper, and zucchini.
1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 cup water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, diced
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 medium zucchini, chopped
2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
3 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
2-3 tablespoons chili powder, depending on your taste (we used 3)
1 tablespoon ground cumin
Salt and black pepper, to taste
1. In a medium sauce pan, combine the quinoa and water. Cook over medium heat until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Set aside.
2. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over high heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, jalapeño, carrot, celery, peppers, and zucchini. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
3. Add the black beans, kidney beans, tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Stir in the cooked quinoa. Season with chili powder, cumin, salt, and black pepper. Simmer chili on low for about 30 minutes. Serve warm.
1. In a large bowl, combine almond flour, salt and baking soda, chipotle, chili and cheese
2. In a smaller bowl whisk egg
3. Mix wet ingredients into dry
4. Knead dough with hands if necessary to ensure proper distribution of ingredients
5. Form dough into a large circle about ⅔-inch thick
6. Cut dough like a pizza, into 16 slices, here’s a great “how to” shot from my friend Jen.
7. Using a metal baking spatula transfer triangles to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet
8. Bake at 375° for 9-10 minutes
9. Serve with Savory Avocado Spread or your favorite dip
12-oz bag thawed frozen artichoke hearts
1 peeled garlic clove
1 tablespoon finely diced red onion
1/2 cup Vegenaise® or your favorite egg-free mayonnaise
1/2 cup plain vegan soy yogurt or sour cream
1 tablespoon vegan "Parmesan"
1 tablespoon white wine or fresh lemon juice
Pinch of sea salt
Pinch of ground pepper
1 tablespoon of vegan butter spread (I used Earth Balance)
3 tablespoons of sliced almonds (or gluten-free breadcrumbs)
Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
Dump the thawed artichoke hearts and the peeled garlic clove into the bowl of a food processor and pulse on and off to chop rather fine. Scoop the chopped artichokes and garlic into a mixing bowl. Add in the finely diced onion (I don't bother to dice this small amount of onion in the processor). Add the Vegenaise, soy yogurt, vegan "Parm", white wine or lemon juice, sea salt and pepper. Mix together to blend well.
Spoon into a smallish baking dish or crock. Set aside.
Make your topping. Melt the vegan buttery spread in a small skillet and add the sliced almonds. Stir to coat.
Add the buttered almonds to the top of the artichoke dip.
Bake in the center of a preheated oven for about 20 minutes, till bubbly around the edges and heated through.