I have been trying to "green" or de-toxify our house. My baby is currently sleeping on a regular, old vinyl covered toxic mattress that is about 15 years old. The only reason we kept it is because we figured it had outgassed most of the toxins already. But, now I am really starting to wonder if it is still not good enough. Of course, if we had enough money, I would have bought him a new, organic mattress right away, but it is hard de toxing your house on just one income and there seems to be so many, many things that need to be removed and re-bought (we've changed detergents, personal care items, removed plastics, changed to glass bottles..). We are trying to start with the most toxic first and work our way down the list (this has been incredibly stressful because who wouldn't want to just throw out all these horrible cancer causing things and just re purchase everything you need that won't actually kill you and your kids asap?!?). Anyway, do any of you know whether mattresses this old could still be doing harm? And what about clothes? How long do the harmful pesticides stay in the clothes? Are hand-me-downs a safe alternative to organic, non-toxic dyed clothing?
Many, many thanks!